nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Re: olive trees found in Bulgaria

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Re: olive trees found in Bulgaria
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 09:36:13 -0800

Title: Re: olive trees found in Bulgaria
I asked the guy in Bulgaria if there was a possiblity that the tree was a Russian Olive (Eleagnus).  His reply was "These two may look the same to Russians, but trust me, I can very well distinguish them. And I think that a closer look to the second photo should clear up any doubts. I will make better photos and will post them to my site next week."

So I checked out his site at http://www.polarpalm.net/exp.htm.  More good stuff on cold hardy olives was found there...

"The winter 2001/2002 was very good for cold hardy plants hunters. What I did was to visit all places with low extremes where olives are grown. During that winter there was an anticyclone in southern Bulgaria and northern Greece and in these areas the whole month December 2001 was the coldest on record.   I've been told many times before about many olive varieties that they are very cold hardy. All of these varieties freeze to the ground each year. After this cold winter I found 6-7 really hardy varieties, the others just did not survive.  (picture shows Olea europea garden in northern Greece, zone 8b.) Different varieties were planted for better polination. Only the cold hardy varieties have survived the low of -20°C (-4°F). They were untouched and produced normal fruit crop in the next year 2002. Those, which froze later sprouted from the ground."

Anyone want to take a trip to Bulgaria and bring back olive trees to share?

-Mark Lee, Seattle, z7b/8a