nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Crab Apples and more

  • From: John Bunker <jbunker@gwi.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Crab Apples and more
  • Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 06:08:54 -0500

Ed et al:

When it comes to crab apples I'm always a little skeptical about disease
claims (pro or con) until I see the tree in the "flesh". Some of the most
magnificent varieties are said to be susceptible to scab etc but are really
only modestly so. When it comes to fruit, nothing beats eating the apple
and checking out the orchard yourself. When it comes to ornamentals whether
its a crab or an oak or a potentilla, nothing beats a good arboretum or a
garden tour.

John Bunker
Fedco
Palermo Me zone 4

...And if you're into trees and live in New England and you've got some
time, New England Grows is today, tomorrow and Saturday in Boston. It's
quite worth the effort to go. I'll see you there.