nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Evans cherry- any Canadian sources??

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <bnikolai@shaw.ca>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Evans cherry- any Canadian sources??
  • Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 21:19:07 -0700 (MST)

Dave,
Its a waste of time to graft Evans cherry on anything in climate
zones colder than zone 6. It grafts readily, but invariably dies over the
winter in colder zones. In rare cases it may nurse itself over a very few
years on pincherry, then die. It MUST be grown on its own roots to be hardy
in zones 3 and 4, and probably 5. It is very commonly available through
Canadian mail order nurseries, ie T and T seeds out of Winnipeg, and
McFayden's out of Brandon (www.mcfayden.com).
There are superior and even hardier cherries to Evans that will be
released in the relatively near future. I have tasted some of these, and
they are noticibly better in taste, darker red, larger, and hardier
(probably well into zone 2). I'd say they are "almost" a sweet cherry in
taste, but far tastier fresh off the tree than any other "tart cherries" I
have tasted. So for all my friends in zones 2, and 3, hang tight, "you
ain't seen nothin yet" if you like Evans.
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton Alberta