nafex - Re: [NAFEX] bamboo for shoots

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] bamboo for shoots
  • Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 20:33:12 -0700

>> From: "Bruce Hansen" <brucehansen@acd.net>
>
>> This will work for new shoots at the edges of the patch. The patch itself
>> is
>> about 40' in diameter and close-filled with 30' bamboo. Do you ever cut
>> these to the ground to get at new shoots in the interior of the patch.

Well, yeah! You can easily walk thru a properly managed grove of
Phyllostachys bamboo; there's room for new growth throughout. Cut out
everything older than 4 years old.
Oh, how do you tell that? # of leaf scars on the twigs, dead branches &
general wear & tear, and lignification ('scuse the French) of the culm.
(take yr. pruning saw and tap on a few canes- you'll notice the older ones
are more resonant, and "sharper" or harder sounding.) You're gonna have a
load of poles, sounds like. Oh, and you want to trim the branches while
they're green, much easier. And take out any canes that are small, ugly or
wierd.
If anyone would like an attached e-copy of my late catalog (I've quit the
mailorder biz) tag me off-list and I'll oblige. it's got all the FAQs and a
description of most hardy species.
-Rick