nafex - [NAFEX] Short season apples with quality

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <efackler@woh.rr.com>
  • To: "NAFEX Greetings:" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Short season apples with quality
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 19:28:09 -0500

) To "prime the pump", here's a list of the best possibilities that I've
found so far. Any information, comments, or recommendations about any of
these apples would help me a lot.

Iowa Beauty--no experience.
Liveland Raspberry---not nuch.
Mantet---outstanding flavor, juicy, soft texture.
Melba--not bad, not great
Mollie's Delicious--very sweet, but winter tender
Norland--close to the finest early apple I've eaten--very hardy.
Oriole---okay, not great.
Quinte---a dud in zone 6.
Redfree---not bad for a sweetie---excellent for drying.
State Fair---Okay, not great
William's Pride---Outstanding if you can deal with bitter pit.
Zestar---just a tad above "okay" in zone 6.

You might also consider Pristine for an early type. Excellent sauce,
pies and fairly
good flavor.

Thanks,

Mike
Zone 5 near Bangor, ME

Hope this helps.

Ed, in that "other" place just a tryin' to have some fun.

  • [NAFEX] Short season apples with quality, Ed Fackler, 01/29/2003