nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Hardy Citrus

  • From: "philip sauber" <mrxtexas@lycos.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Hardy Citrus
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 16:48:18 -0600

I have tasted a seedling thomasville and a thomasville selection. The
seedling was horrible and couldn't be sweetened with any amount of sugar. It
tasted like sulfuric acid. The selection was barely edible. I grafted my
seedling with the selection last year but will graft something edible this
year to it like satsuma. I'd call it famine food. If that was the last food
on earth, you'd probably eat it. The average person wouldn' take a second
bite and might spit out the first one if no one was looking. I've tasted
many cold hardy citrus fruit and they were uniformly horrible. Citrus nuts
in Houston, TX grow them. Ichang lemon is sour with next to no lemon flavor.
Here they aren't that cold hardy either. The problem with trifoliate citrus
hybrids is that the hybrid vigor of the cross make them vigorous growers
which is not what you want for cold hardiness. For cold hardiness, you want
no sap flowing in the winter. The bad taste of the trifoliate disappears far
slower than the cold hardiness appears. I have grown thomasville and swingle
citrumelo for rootstock and can testify that they are more vigorous growers
than trifoliate.