nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pears & Lorette

  • From: Suzi Teghtmeyer <srt175f@smsu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pears & Lorette
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 14:15:19 -0600

Hi all,
This is from my fruit science links website under the heading "Comprehensive Fruit and Horticulture Links'.

The Lorette System of Pruning by Mark Lee.
http://home.earthlink.net/~piper3/fruit.html Describes, summarizes and illustrates the fruit tree pruning system of Louis Lorette of France from the early 1900's. The site also includes scanned pages from the book, Pruning of Fruit Trees by Paul Champagnat, published in English by Crosby Lockwood and Sons of London in 1954. http://home.earthlink.net/~piper3/fruitref.html

------Suzi T.
Librarian, Paul Evans Library of Fruit Science
Southwest Missouri State University Mtn. Grove Campus and Missouri Fruit Experiment Station
9740 Red Spring Rd, Mountain Grove, MO 65711
Phone: 417-926-4105, Fax: 417-926-6646, email: srt175f@smsu.edu
AgNIC Viticulture site: http://library.smsu.edu/paulevans/viticulture1.shtml
Member: CBHL, USAIN, ALA, ACRL, IAALD

At 11:24 AM 01/13/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi, where does one get thgis book??

>Keith

It's long been out of print, so it's only available used:
If you start at www.booksold.com - you can search ALibris and AbeBooks (both
multilocation retailers. Amazon generally sells used books also, but they
didn't
appear to have it. Personally I would buy one of the lowest costs you can
find, as
you actually plan to use the book and aren't getting for "collecting"
purposes. But to
each his own.

I'm new to trying Lorette on a small scale (one Espalier), but from talking
to others,
I understand there are certain caveats to it.

1) I works better for pears than for apples
(works for apples, just not as well)
2) It works better in a Mediterreanean type climate that an East Coast type
climate
(mistimed rains can cause unwanted growth)

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6