nafex - [NAFEX] Small fruit options, Sea Buckthorn vigor

  • From: "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@lists.ibiblio.org'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Small fruit options, Sea Buckthorn vigor
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 12:12:17 -0500

Robert Hamilton wrote in part:
"I have been looking for some small fruiting bushes to go around some trees
I have in the front yard. I have blueberrys, nanking cherries, crandells,
gooesberries. I guess I am running out of options."

Robert,
We've enjoyed the following small fruiting bushes in Zone 6 Tenn:
Aronia melanocarpa, Elaeagnus multiflora (goumi), 'Regent' Juneberry,
Chaenomeles quince, Feijoa.
Though these attain 4-7 feet with age, they can easily be maintained a
little shorter if desired. Each have significant ornamental character.

Our Chinese Che grows more out than up, and remember dwarf figs should work
in your area.

We purchased above from Sherwood's (J.S. Akin), Edible Landscaping and
Hidden Springs.

More details on plants above upon request,
Richard

P.S. Sea buckthorn performed for us as for you; starts well and peters out.
Most vigorous and productive plants I have seen were on some of the worst
soil at the NCGR in Corvallis, OR, growing with no irrigation.
Anyone in the eastern US fruiting sea buckthorn, and if so, under what
conditions?