nafex - Re: [NAFEX] p.americana/p.salicina

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] p.americana/p.salicina
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 09:19:41 -0500

The most prominent feature of prunus americana 'american plum' is that plant
one rootstock - soon spreads to become a thicket - the spreading to thicket
feature you can interpret at your pleasure to be an advantage or a
disadvantage, depending on your needs!

P. americana is the plant more than any other that gave rise to our common
expressions "plum thicket." You may find it quite hard to run your power
mower through, the branches may hit you in the face if you can find room to
get the mower through.

The suckers are useful to graft on - you don't have to plant them as they
are spreading themselves - but we've been warned not to graft multiple
scions onto one root to prevent the spread of virus between one genotype
variety to another.

Yes, I've also heard p. ussuriensis recommended too. It's supposed to be a
good rootstock for americana as well as salicina, isn't it? It's supposed
to be very hardy. Well I have european and american plums both growing on
p. americana. There you have it.

Charlie Paradise
Massachusetts zone 5/deep in snow/
http://pws.prserv.net/usinet.c2dice/trees/