nafex - Re: [NAFEX] sugar plums/prunes

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] sugar plums/prunes
  • Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 08:55:53 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] sugar plums/prunes
"Sugar" is an old variety bred by Luther Burbank.  As the site indicates, it was bred for drying.  It's covered in The Plums of New York, as well as some of the books "by" Burbank on his work.  I think it's a seedling of, or at least related to, Prune D'Agen, which is a sugary sweet Prunus domestica that was the standard of the California prune industry for decades.  I think Sugar had problems like split pits that made it unpopular with growers.  Burbank bred it to replace the Prune D'Agen because of the rather small size of the old variety.  Even so, I love the little Prune D'Agen, both for sweetness and regular bearing.  I ALWAYS get crop from mine, even when other trees fail in bad years.
-Lon Rombough