nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Opinions requested...

  • From: "Al Pernichele" <pernichele@msn.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Opinions requested...
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 22:44:19 -0700

We make our cider out of mac's which makes for a sweet cider. Tried mixing
with other varieties but always go back to straight mac cider based on
comments from our customers. We have noticed a significant difference in the
taste of mac cider over the season but can't say that the taste changes
noticeably with time after squeezing. When just picked, the sugar content
of the cider is lower than later in the season. Can't remember content we
measured early in the season but toward the end of the season, when we save
some for making wine, it's usually between 14 and 15 percent which produces
a wine with 8 to 8.5 percent alcohol.
Anyone ever taste pasteurized cider that is comparable in taste to the fresh
stuff?? To me, even flash pasteurized cider is not worth drinking if fresh
cider is available. Has anyone out there tasted cider treated by UV? Does
this process alter the taste of apple cider?
Al, Corvallis MT.