nafex - [NAFEX] "off the press" taste

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] "off the press" taste
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 09:02:02 -0500

Claude Jolicoeur wrote:

<snip> The first and most important thing I can tell you is that taste and
flavor is greatest
from juice that flows from the press - it starts to degrade after a few
hours... The second point
is that juice from a low yield screw press will be better than juice from a
ultra high pressure
and extremely efficient industrial press. <snip>

Hello All,

I can tell you that the best tasting cider is that which flows from the press
first.

When we moved to Canada we stayed on the family farm for a time, and I helped
with the cider
apple collection, and bringing it to the press.

After the pressing (large old style press) we loaded a large number of 5
gallon pails and old
steel milk cans filled with cider into the pickup truck. Before leaving for
home we stopped to
eat lunch and popped open a pail and dipped out some cider.

I have never tasted cider that good anytime, or anywhere else. The same
cider a few hours later
did not compare to that "off the press" taste. It really spoils you, and you
can only drink it
once a year, for a very short time.

Just for the record... That cider was 3/4 Northern Spy and 1/4 Macintosh.

We put our cider into 2 liter pop bottles as quickly as possible and get it
into a freezer (leave
space in bottle for expansion). This seems to preserve the flavor better
than anything else.

Later,
Tom