nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Opinions requested...

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Opinions requested...
  • Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 20:47:23 -0500

Hello to the Rabbit...
For my part, I do quite a bit of apple pressing each fall. About 2/3 of the
juice is used for fermentation and makes an excellent alcoolic beverage.
The other 1/3 is for drinking as juice, mostly for the kids that are almost
as found of the non-alcoolic produce as I am of the fermented stuff...
Anyhow, I however do once in a while taste the fresh juice. Up to now, I
must have tasted fresh juice from nearly 50 different varieties. The first
and most important thing I can tell you is that taste and flavor is
greatest from juice that flows from the press - it starts to degrade after
a few hours... The second point is that juice from a low yield screw press
will be better than juice from a ultra high pressure and extremely
efficient industrial press. This is because the "free flowing" juice has
more body and flavor. Third point is how the apples are grown - a home
orchard like mine has a poor yield (in tons of apples per acre), the apples
are smaller and have some scab, etc... but, the juice I get from these
apples has 30% more sugar (and probably the same of flavor, but this is
more difficult to measure) than juice I get from pressing commercial apples
- as these essentially contain more water. I also suspect that
Post-Pressing treatments (i.e. filtration, chemical additives,
pasteurisation etc) must have an adverse effect on quality...

And finally, on variety, I can say that different varieties will give you
very different flavors, but every good apple I have tasted also gave a good
juice. One of the best is from Cortland, quite neutral, but so good. I also
particularely appreciate juice from Empire, Liberty, Lobo, Honeygold (more
aromatic), Akane, Brown's apple, Golden Russet and many others...

Claude, in Quebec.

A 19:28 02.12.14 -0800, vous avez écrit :

>The story:
>
>The other day I went to one of those high flouting touchy-feely
organic/health food stores cause in spite of my disdain for the touchy
freely political correctness most of those shopping there express the
fluffy one does care somewhat about what he shoves down his gullet. At
any rate there was not much there that piqued my interest (well there was
this very well developed blonde, but I digress...) but I did stumble across
some "Trader Joe's" Current Crop Gravenstein Apple juice. Well I about
choked on the price tag, but the rabbit will pay for quality, so I though
what the heck..."Gravenstein yum" (he says in a Homer Simpson voice).
Anyway, it was very, very good. Some years back I sort of gave up on the
fall cider you saw in the stores as it tasted too much like the surgery
apple juice you see in juice isle. Kind of like a red delicious with
added sugar...I think you know what I mean, a wet sweet sticky drink, but
no body to it, an aroma only a yellow jacket could love, and lack of real
apple taste.. But this 100% Gravenstein juice was darn good...a little
watery in some ways, but still with a strong "apple" flavor that was rather
complex, sweet, but not obnoxiously so, and there was body to it, and it
was an aromatic delight. I was truly happy with the purchase and would
adjust my budget to include it as a "special beverage" purchase.