nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Good Nurseries

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Good Nurseries
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 16:34:23 -0600

At 08:54 AM 11/13/2002 -0600, Sam wrote:
It appears that suckering freely is the nature of the Evans (aka Bali) cherry. It probably wouldn't sucker so much if it were grafted on the right kind of rootstock, but, according to observations in Canada, where it was discovered/developed, Bali is not as cold-hardy when it is grown as a graft.--Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (USDA Zone 4a)

Sam,
From some earlier discussions of the Evans cherry on this list, it seems that there are some specimens that do not sucker at all, or at least minimally. I don't mind the suckering at all - it's not a problem for me, as I either get to share it with friends, or just mow over any I don't want.

Lucky