nafex - Re: [NAFEX] acorns

  • From: "Mike Levine" <mlevine@umich.edu>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] acorns
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 12:18:24 -0400

The acorns of white oaks and their relatives in the white oak "group" tend
to have the least amount of tannins in them. These tannins are what causes
the bitter flavor in acorns. For this reason acorns from trees in the white
oak "group" were/are most often used by Native Americans to make their
flour. Bur oaks have the largest acorns in my area. It is somewhat
variable, however. I have seen bur oaks with acorns the same size as white
oaks, but I have also seen bur oaks with incredibly huge acorns. If the cap
of the acorn hairy/wooly/scurfy that would be a key character in determining
if what you saw in Lousville was a bur oak This character has earned the
bur oak the nickname hippy-of-the-oaks. Another character for ID would be
if the leaves that are growing on the sunniest parts of the tree look like
they have a wasp waist. The Bur oak happens to be the city tree of Ann
Arbor.

Mike Levine
Ann Arbor, MI