nafex - Re: [NAFEX] acorns

  • From: Doug Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] acorns
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 05:31:54 -0400 (EDT)

About 20 years ago I visited Bill MacKently at St. Lawrence Nursery near
Potsdam in New York state just north of the Adirondack mountains (colder
than Ottawa). Bill gave me a few acorns of the Ashworth bur oak, one of
which I ate. It was perfectly bland. I don't remember anything about the
size, so probably it was not remarkable.

I have spoken to a Missourian who used Ashworth bur oak flour in cooking
with success.

The Ashworth bur oak was discovered by Fred Ashworth of Potsdam. Bill
sells seedlings which he says are very similar to the parent.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada