nafex - RE: [NAFEX] acorns

  • From: "Lucky.Pittman" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] acorns
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 19:41:40 -0500

>===== Original Message From nafex@lists.ibiblio.org =====
>> I have seedling bur oak selections from the southern/western
>> portions of its range(AL, TX, OK) that are HUGE - they run in the
>> neighborhood of 6-7 acorns per pound - and that's with their
>> substantial caps removed.
>
>you've got to be kidding. our burr oak acorns are nothing like that up
>here. would these grow in WI? mIEKAL

No, mIEKAL, not kidding; they're really that big.
I've seen bur oak acorns from MI, WI, Ontario, Manitoba, and they're very
small - similar in size to pin oak(Q.palustris) down here in KY, but even
here
in KY and MO, the bur oak acorns are BIG, just not quite so huge as the ones
from even further south and west.
Would they grow in WI - probably, but whether or not they'd mature those big
acorns is another matter. Ken Asmus has some TX & OK selections growing in
Kalamazoo, MI.

Lucky