nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Edwardo wrote :)

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Edwardo wrote :)
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:32:00 -0500

Dear Inquiring (also 'z proverbial Fluff er' cottontail and one of my only
living idols, Don Yellman!!):

Subject: [NAFEX] Edwardo wrote :)

> But why are Sweet16, Keepsake, and Pixie Crunch only suitable for home
use?

My response------

These are truely wonderful but have liabilities when it comes to make
'z needed bucks. Sweet 16, like Northern Spy (one grandparent) is a shy
bearer (like me!!), subject to fireblight and when grown south of Zone 5, is
heat intolerant.

You wrote----------

> And why is Goldrush a maybe for home use?

My reponse-------

The originator of the question lives in Zone 5 and GoldRush will simply
not mature sufficiently in most years. Conversely, in Zones 6 and south
GoldRush is simply a killer in all commercial aspects except cosmetics. In
these zones, more phytosynthates occur due simply to more heat/sunlight
during the later month on the tree. Sugar/soluble solids of GoldRush apples
grown in the southern zones is simply off the chart. Some have recorded
brix of 20+ year-in, year-out.

You wrote-----------

> What makes the others superior for commercial purposes?

My response--------

They can be grown profitably in zone 5 and have incredible consumer
appeal esp. flavor wise.

ed, heaven (and lovin' it), however, in short order I'll relocate to another
version of heaven!!