nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Home garden varieties

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Home garden varieties
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:33:20 -0500

Outstanding response, Fluff!!
----- Original Message -----
From: "fuwa fuwa usagi" <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 1:07 PM
Subject: [NAFEX] Home garden varieties

> Chris wrote:
>
> But why are Sweet16, Keepsake, and Pixie Crunch only suitable for home
use?

> And why is Goldrush a maybe for home use?
>
> What makes the others superior for commercial purposes?
>
> Inquiring minds want to know.
>
> My reply:
>
> I am not Ed (I am much fluffier) but I'll venture a guess and Ed can
correct me as he sees fit.

> Fruit for the home garden normally requires multiple pickings, and
therefore individual determination of ripening that is prohibitive in a
commercial orchard. In addition the actual range of ripening season may
vary considerably so it hard to time a crew to harvest it.

> Home garden fruit may simply be to delicate to stand the sorting machines
that abuse the fruit (Northern Spy is an example), they may not be even
slightly uniform in size or color.

> Home garden fruit may be "unattractive" and therefore require an educated
consumer.

> And home garden fruit may be simply be single purpose, i.e. a sauce apple,
or grown as a specialty item, as perhaps an enhancement for cider.

> Home varieties may require extensive storage time to develop flavor, or
may simply not store well at all.

> Anyway, I am using this as a test to see if I have actually learned
anything over the years. Ed, will serve as the teacher and correct the
stupidity I have committed to writing.