nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Edwardo wrote :)

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Edwardo wrote :)
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 13:32:19 -0500

Hello,

I believe that you will find the answers are as varied regarding apple
variety selection, as the
answer to the question "What is for dinner?".

There are many complexities you have to keep in mind. Disease resistance,
insect problems,
growth habit, bloom period, pollinizer, pollinator, dessert apple, cooking
apple, cider apple and
of course soil/climate. And this is only the short list.

The varieties selected for homeowners are the easiest to manage over a broad
selection of
criteria.

As far as apple preference goes... The average consumer has does not have a
large pool of
varieties to choose from. The markets are full of apples that are more
economicaly viable for
the producer. Apples that crop well with minimum care and spraying, they
have long storage
times, do not bruise easily, have fantastic eye appeal and (oh yeah) have a
reasonable flavor.

Consumers never get to taste some of the FANTASTIC tasting apples that do not
travel well, or
bruise easily, or have a short peak flavor period.

If you want to eat "consumer" varieties you can buy them in the market. If
you want to explore
some other fantastic apples grow the lesser known varieties.

This is a complex and very subjective question.

Later,
Tom