nafex - [NAFEX] Home garden varieties

  • From: fuwa fuwa usagi <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Home garden varieties
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:07:54 -0800 (PST)

Chris wrote:

But why are Sweet16, Keepsake, and Pixie Crunch only suitable for home use?

And why is Goldrush a maybe for home use?

What makes the others superior for commercial purposes?

Inquiring minds want to know.

My reply:

I am not Ed (I am much fluffier) but I'll venture a guess and Ed can correct
me as he sees fit.

Fruit for the home garden normally requires multiple pickings, and therefore
individual determination of ripening that is prohibitive in a commercial
orchard. In addition the actual range of ripening season may vary
considerably so it hard to time a crew to harvest it.

Home garden fruit may simply be to delicate to stand the sorting machines
that abuse the fruit (Northern Spy is an example), they may not be even
slightly uniform in size or color.

Home garden fruit may be "unattractive" and therefore require an educated
consumer.

And home garden fruit may be simply be single purpose, i.e. a sauce apple, or
grown as a specialty item, as perhaps an enhancement for cider.

Home varieties may require extensive storage time to develop flavor, or may
simply not store well at all.

Anyway, I am using this as a test to see if I have actually learned anything
over the years. Ed, will serve as the teacher and correct the stupidity I
have committed to writing.

All the best,

TFB

The Free Email with so much more!