nafex - Re: [NAFEX] barberry again

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] barberry again
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 09:52:40 +0000

Ditto Ginda's comments for the common (invasive exotic) southern Wisconsin barberry.

Tanis

From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 08:39:54 -0400

I'm only familiar with the invasive barberry in the northeast, and can't even tell you which barberry it is. But I can say that the fruits are very small, with only a little flesh between the tough skin and the seed. The flesh is waxy, yellow, and very bitter. Birds seem to like it, but it is not fit for human consumption. I've wondered if you could make candles from it, but never bothered to collect the thousands of fruit you'd need to try.

It does grow into a very nice hedge, if you trim it. The thorns are very nasty, and keep out people, dogs, deer, and other large animals. Both the red and green ones are reasonably attractive grown as hedges, so long as you're not close enough to be bothered by the thorns. Because it is considered an invasive alien, I can't recommend it, though.

Ginda Fisher
eastern MA, zone 6