nafex - Re: [NAFEX] MUSA Basjoo Banana

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch@vsnl.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] MUSA Basjoo Banana
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 09:36:47 +0530

Let me suggest one more alternative. There is a one more type of banana
which is not known at all outside its habitat. It grows semiwild in the mid
hill regions of North West India. It is fairly cold toeratnt. The plant is
tall and the fruits are also large. The fruits have to induced to ripen
like otjher commercial bananas. he ripe fruits taste good but are more
pulpy and the fingers do not break like cultivated types. This banana is
considered to be heavier for digestion. The raw fruits are also cooked as a
vegetable.

30-40 years back this banana was used like a common banana in the hilly
regions. But now with the development of transport system, bananas from the
tropical areas reach every nook and corner of India and therefore this
fruits is not used much. Thre plants mostly used for religious purposes.

There is a picture of this banana at my website www.lesserknownplants.com.

I am of the view that this banana should be tried elsewhere too.

I have already sent a few suckers to one NAFEX member but have not had any
feedback from him.

Institutonal efforts are needed for this work.

I shall be too happy to send suckers if some group within NAFEX works on
this project.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
Horticultural Consultant on Lesser Known Plants
www.lesserknownplants.com