nafex - Re: [NAFEX] MUSA Basjoo Banana

  • From: "ted siegan" <tedsiegan@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] MUSA Basjoo Banana
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 16:15:27 +0000

Here in Arlington, Ma. zone 6 against a south wall, I can't speak of the edibility, mine hasn't flowered. But today its tallest leaves extend  about 7 feet tall. I've counted 20 leaves total per plant; I've read that it can flower after 28 leaves are formed. This Basjoo has surived 2 winters protected with heavy mulch and plastic. This past winter it did not die to the ground and clearly its been a hot summer; more global warming and maybe we will report bananas in Massachusetts.

What a joy to look to out the window and see banana leaves flapping in the late summer breezes. The Basjoo is beside two 14 foot bearing fig trees ( which are edible- thank goodness! ).

ted siegan  zone 6

Arlington, Ma.