nafex - Re: [NAFEX] old chokecherry wine/aronia

  • From: hector black <hblack@twlakes.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] old chokecherry wine/aronia
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 14:51:30 -0700

I believe that wine turns to vinegar with the introduction of bacteria (?)
that are in the air and also in the saliva of the fruit fly. That's why in
wine making, it is important to put a baloon or bubbler on the fermentation
so that these cannot enter and change the alcohol to vinegar. The
fermentation is anaerobic (no air), but changing to vinegar is aerobic and
does best with good air circulation. When I make vinegar, I put one of
those fish tank bubblers in the wine to get plenty of air to the mix.
Hector