nafex - Re: [NAFEX] old chokecherry wine/aronia

  • From: "Bill Russell" <shaman@pennswoods.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] old chokecherry wine/aronia
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 10:59:39 -0400

Maybe this is not a new technique for most nafexers. I make lots of very
good fruit juices by this method that I learned from an Amish friend:

Put a large handful of fruit (chokecherries, wild or tame grapes,
elderberries, or just about any berry or well-crushed bulky fruit) in a
quart Mason jar, add a good squirt of lemon juice (unless the fruit is quite
acid), a tablespoon of honey or sugar, and then fil the jar with boiling
water. IMMEDIATELY screw on the lid. Set the jars away on a shelf in a dark
place in the cellar. Keeps for many years. I have never lost a jar to
spoilage or fermentation.

Bill