nafex - Re: [NAFEX] old chokecherry wine/aronia

  • From: "Bill Russell" <shaman@pennswoods.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] old chokecherry wine/aronia
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 10:48:57 -0400

Glad to hear that your chokecherry wine survived the uncertainties of 8
years of storage!

A couple of weeks ago in a dark corner of my cellar, I found a few bottles
of chokecherry wine that I made over 20 years ago. It is quite good, with a
high astringency characteristic of the fruit. After (unfortunately) I made
the wine, I learned a trick to greatly reduce the astringincy from the
experiments of home-brewing neighbor: while the chokecherry wine is aging in
the mass storage vessel, prior to bottling, toss in a handful of oak
sawdust - about one large handful per 5 gallons of wine. You get a much
better product. Does anyone out there have an idea of how this works?

Also, fermenting the wine on the seeds for a few weeks should not cause a
problem unless the seeds are cracked or broken. The intact hulls prevent
leaching of much cyanide.

Bill