nafex - [NAFEX] old chokecherry wine/aronia

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] old chokecherry wine/aronia
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 13:35:52 +0000

8 years ago we lived where there was an incredible patch of chokecherries, I picked 25 gallons one week. I tried my hand at wine making with it, then suddenly life got uprooted and they got forgotten till this week as we are organizing the basement. The wine was never even decanted from the origional gallon jugs with only balloons for caps. Incredibly most of the balloons were still sound, and low behold the wine ain't bad! Amazing thing, on one bottle that the balloon had opened up a bit - the wine was not vinegar.....do chokecherries have a natural preservative?
This wine was made without the seeds, I have been told to watch that .
When I first moved to Minnesota from N. Calif I had never tasted chokecherry, I made some jam and used it on vanilla ice cream for a year and never got tired of the intense taste. Sam, you have inspired me to try my hand at using the aronia berries, they sure are productive.

Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3