nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grapes?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grapes?
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 06:19:41 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Grapes?
It depends some on the variety you take the seed from.  A few vinifera grapes will produce a limited number of seedlings with a visible resemblence to the parent, but the odds of getting a seedling that is even really close to the parent are very small, down to nonexistent, with most grapes other than pure species.
If you want proof, there are dozens, if not hundreds, of seedlings of Concord grown from self-pollinated seed and none of them are even close to being the same.  In some cases, it's apparent what the parent was, but the plants are NOT the same as the seed source.
-Lon Rombough