nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Papaws

  • From: "Gordon Nofs" <gc_nofs@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Papaws
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 22:01:46 -0400

Sorry, I meant Dan.

Gordon C. Nofs
Flint, MI.

Apparently simply having limestone in your soil doesn't mean much as far as pH is concerned. A few years ago I was at a soils class at the Penn State Master Gardener annual in-service. The instructor, the state extension expert in soils, showed a slide of a landscape with large limestone rocks protruding from the soil and mentioned the surprisingly high amount of lime that particular site required to bring the pH up to 7.0. I asked him about the apparent conflict in limestone soil needing lime. I expected the problem would be keeping the pH down in that situation. His answer basically was that the rock contributed almost nothing to the soil pH. He said it is more dependant on other factors such as organic matter, buffering capacity and rainfall pH among others. So the answer to your question is "Maybe". Pawpaws do seem to like moist (not waterlogged), organically rich, acid to slightly acid soils containing sulphur.

Dan Sorensen