nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sea buckthorn

  • From: boyd manges <bmanges@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sea buckthorn
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 09:58:26 -0700 (PDT)

I planted some of mine in a hillside on sandy loam and
had pretty poor growth until I set up a temporary drip
system to help with summer dry spells (I planted both
bareroot seedlings and named varieties.) My older
plants are huge (15 feet tall or so) and haven't set
fruit yet (once I realized I had two females I started
a new male plant who is now 3 years old and just
entering puberty)...maybe next year. My plan is to use
them as make a hedge in front of my deer fence to hide
it and to reduce the running space available to the
hooved locusts trying to prune my apple trees. They
(the sea buckthorns) propagate quite easily from root
cuttings (with the drip system). Some cultivars are
nearly thornless/reportedly with larger fruit, clearly
there is difference in growth habit re leaf size,
suckering and form.

I would make sure you don't have any valuable garden
beds nearby. I have sucker plants showing up 20 feet
away through a barrier of mowed lawn. They are
shallow rooted and easy to pull up, but need constant
attention.

I'm sure they would raise holy heck with native
vegetation if they got away...autumn olives on
steroids with huge spines. I wouldn't plant them if I
was near the ocean or lakefront dune habitat.

I've heard mention of sorbet,cordials, fruit soup and
sauces on scandinavian web sites, but no recipes. I
sure like the aromatic tart flavor of the berries I've
tasted so far.

boyd manges z5 Northern Michigan