nafex - [NAFEX] Unwrapping grafts

  • From: Mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Unwrapping grafts
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:12:31 -0400

In my quest to finally learn how to do bud grafting,
yesterday and this morning I did 19 grafts.
13 Peach (chip budding)
3 Pawpaw (chip budding)
3 apple (2 t-bud and 1 chip bud)

All the chip buds were done with grafting rubbers and then the
graft was wrapped with parafilm and black electrician's tape
to hold the parafilm. Only 1 of t-bud's was wrapped w/
parafilm (I have been told that covering a t-bud was not
necessary, but it is for chip budding).

I would like to remove the parafilm as soon as the graft has
either taken or failed. How long should I wait? Should I
also remove the grafting rubber and when? IMO, grafting
rubbers don't breakdown fast enough, especially if they've
been protected by a parafilm covering. Any other advice?

I have also been told that if the leaf axil "dehisces" (i.e.
falls off easily/naturally) the graft has "taken". If it is
firmly attached, the graft failed. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6