nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tree not budding out

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tree not budding out
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 14:57:35 -0500

At 03:43 PM 07/09/2002 -0400, Chris wrote:
I transplanted a persimmon tree this Spring. It still has not budded out. I have verified that the cambium is still green. Is there anything I can do at this point to force the tree into growth? Or is it R.I.P.?
Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.

Chris,
I've had some that I 'think' I resurrected by using 'willow water' to water them with - they might have come out of it in the same time frame anyway, but you've got nothing to lose by trying this.
I just cut a fistful or armload of willow twigs/small branches and stick 'em in a 5 gallon bucket of water. As most of us know, willow roots quite readily, and it appears that rooting hormones/auxins are elucidated into the water, and may help enhance root development on bareroot transplants such as yours.
There is one of a dozen or so grafted persimmons that I dug and transplanted last fall - this one had been summer-budded a year previous, and had grown ~3 ft in 2001; While all the other transplants leafed out months ago, this one was just sitting there - cambium was still green, twigs still limber, but doing nothing. I didn't have time to coddle it, so I just left it alone. It finally has put out one small shoot in the last couple of weeks, about 6" above the graft union - the upper 2.5 ft still seem to be alive, but it's not leafing out up there(yet). So...don't give up hope just yet.
Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY