nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tree not budding out

  • From: nottke <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tree not budding out
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 18:06:41 -0400

I agree that you should give it more time. Last year I received a B&B
selected butternut sapling. It was hand trucked behind the greenhouse and
not noticed again until it had dried out to the point of defoliation in
mid-May. I was going to haul it to the plant graveyard but my wife
insisted that I plant it in a well-prepared hole. It did not put out one
leaf after it was planted. When I was pruning trees this last winter I was
about to cut it off when I noticed that the twigs weren't brittle. This
year it leafed out early and has put on almost 2 feet of new growth!
Jim

>> I transplanted a persimmon tree this Spring. It still has not budded
>>out. I
>> have verified that the cambium is still green. Is there anything I can
>>do at
>> this point to force the tree into growth? Or is it R.I.P.?

Jim Nottke
Pfafftown, NC
Hardiness Zone 7A