nafex - [NAFEX] Grape Pruning

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grape Pruning
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 13:13:21 -0400

Hello,

I am relatively new to grapes and seek some advice.

Last year was the second year for the grape arbor. It is 10'x10 square and
8' high.

The 4 main vines now go up each of the corner posts and criss cross the
timbers at the top. While it
was dormant I pruned back to the mains, and I have new fruiting shoots coming
in (I am sorry that I
am using the wrong terminology).

My question is; Is any pruning performed during the growing season?

Shoots that are near cross members I train to the cross members with jute,
but what about those
shooting out into space, away from the arbor, are they removed now, or left
till dormant pruning?
Will a shoot hanging in open space stop growing for lack of support?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Regards,
Tom