nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Persimmons and transplanting

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Persimmons and transplanting
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 08:25:44 -0500

At 11:35 PM 05/20/2002 -0400, Chris wrote:
Well, I just read that persimmons are difficult to transplant, which leaves
me in somewhat of a dilemma.
Chris,
I transplanted a number of them, with no problems, before I ever read that they were finicky about being transplanted.
Same deal with grafting - I was doing 'em with a simple whip graft, just like the first apples & pears I grafted, until I started seeing things in print about how hard they were to graft. NOT! However, in my experience, graft timing and aftercare are much more important than the technique used. I never attempt to graft them until after the rootstock has begun pushing leaves. Follow-up examination is necessary, almost on a daily basis, to keep all new shoots below the graft rubbed off - it's amazing how rapidly those rascals can put out a vigorous new shoot!

I transplanted a Shojatsu persimmon that I had grafted previously. It still
has yet to leaf out, but the wood remains flexible. Is there anything I can
do to help this tree along?
I'm in the same boat with one I budded in summer 2000, which I transplanted back in December, along with a number of others that I grafted in spring 2001 - all the other transplants have leafed out and are growing well, but this one shows no sign of budbreak, though it's still limber, and the cambium is green, when I nick a small spot on the upper portion of its branches.
The only thing I haven't done is to water it with willow water, which I make by cutting a number of willow branches and sticking in a bucket of water for a few days - the willows exude auxins/rooting hormones, etc. which seem to have had a beneficial effect on some other sickly/weak transplants in the past. With all the rain we've had over the past few months, my entire orchard & nutgrove is 'squishy' - too wet to even get in there with the tractor & mow.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY