nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Poison Ivy Ideas

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Poison Ivy Ideas
  • Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 21:06:55 -0400

Staghorn Sumac "ade" (sweetened tea made from the berries) is excellent. But while birds love PI berries, I don't think they're usually eaten by mammals, so I don't think I'll try any this year.

It's odd, though, that the plant is so noxious to people. It seems to be totally accidental. The irritant doesn't seem to prevent other mammals from eating it - goats will preferentially browse it out from other plantings, and deer eat it, too. The plant doesn't bother birds, which it depends on to spread its seeds. Just an unfortunate reaction between our bare skin and all parts of the plant.

Ginda