nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Poison Ivy Ideas

  • From: "Gianni's mail" <gianni-2@prodigy.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Poison Ivy Ideas
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 21:23:42 -0400

Subject: [NAFEX] Poison Ivy Ideas......

I have used with great success water ionizer salt tablets to completely
eradicate
PO & PI & P Sumac.....
For Ivy I use a bagger type lawnmower and in the fall & spring lower the
wheels
to their lowest
setting and have at it. This is after I have raked with a ground rake to try
expose the undergrowth vines.
The vines get uprooted and dislodged and the poison oil stays in the bag when
cutting.
Then I broadcast rock or ionizer salt if I don't think the infestation is that
heavy, but where there may still be parent roots, I apply in heavy doses,
usually a pile right over the suspect area.
I then wet it down and let the rain do the rest, periodically you may need to
replenish the salt
depending on how effectively or stubborn the target plant/s are but usually
within a season, where there
may have been a very stubborn and sturdy main root, the next season is either
mush or a root in the
rotting down stage.
The entire area remains barren until the salt has dissolved and usually lasts
for a season.
Do not use this in direct proximity to specimen or valuable stocks because
erosion will also kill anything in the salt's path.
I did use pressure treated lumber to re-direct erosion near valuable trees and
it worked, but I buried the PT
leaving an inch above grade. This was 5-1/4" wide PTL.
Salt is present in most soil in smaller amounts and is used to pull iron from
heavy water tables and then flushed into the septic, eventually finding it's
way back to the undergound water .....
A 40 lb bag of ionizer salt is 4 or 5 bucks.
I dump a half bag on a 30" large tree stump and within a year you have mush or
rot or the decaying process has been sped quite nicely.....

Greg, Larry, Lon, & Tom
"Great job guy's switching us over!" Absolutely painless! Lon is a happy
camper
now!!!

Donna in TN, what about P.Trifoliata and the dwarfing with the briar/spikes
pointing downward, I think.

This weird weather still has peach flowers still on, I have never seen them
hang
on this long it's been over 2 weeks???? Even rootstocks are hanging on longer,
what the hey?

Best to all!
~Gianni
S.NH-Z-5/6