nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: Hand Pollination Tutorial?

  • From: "HDessureault" <inter.verbis@atreide.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: Hand Pollination Tutorial?
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 21:51:02 -0500

Hi Ginda,
When I started planting apple trees on our property, there was one year that
I had one tree in full bloom and no other apple trees anywhere nearby. I
decided that hand pollination was in order as the tree was big enough to
carry a few apples.
I used a small paint brush and a small round metal box (the type that you buy
expensive cough drops in drug stores).
I put a few drops of water in the metal box for humidity and on my way from
work I stopped at a couple of roadside apple trees in full bloom to collect
pollen.
Now, you have to choose the fresh pollen as you will notice that not all
flowers are at the same stage of development and some pollen is already too
dried up.
I shook the pollen off with my brush and held the small metal can underneath
to receive the pollen.
At home, I picked up the pollen with the brush, chose flowers that had nice
fresh pollen (to make sure to pick a flower in the same stage of development)
and plant the pollen amongst the rest.
The pollen sticks to the wet brush if you do it carefully and it stays where
you put it if it's fresh. You sometimes experience problems due to gravity
when the flower is facing downward, but generally it's OK. It does require
patience and time.

I have done it again since and it works.

Really very simple...

Hélène, zone 3-4

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.