nafex - Re: [nafex] Chat Line

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Chat Line
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 07:30:36 -0700

Ethan and others:
I am also very happy with Greg's work. As I said, my gripe is with
Yahoo and the fact that I have no control over my membership in any groups
on Yahoo any more. Quite a few people have indicated having a similar
problem. Couple that with the fact that Yahoo has apparently re-set all list
memberships to receive spam, unless the member goes in and changes the
settings back (which isn't possible if you can't get in). More importantly,
I've heard more than one comment that Yahoo is in trouble and could fold,
which would take the lists and their archives with them.
Larry London has offered to start new list that would have no spam and
is hosted by a university, which would make it pretty secure in several
ways. There would be no cost, either. He is already setting up new lists
for me to replace some I own on Topica, and I hope to see those going in
another day.
The point is, it would be possible to switch with no cost, virtually no
interruption of service, no more spam, and accessibility to the list would
be restored for all members. Doesn't seem like there should be any problem
with it. Larry is all ready to do the job for us, if we just say the word.
-Lon Rombough

on 4/21/02 5:57 AM, Dr. Ethan Natelson at natelson@pipeline.com wrote:

> Dear Group,
>
> Greg Miller has just sent out a very thoughtful and detailed discussion
> which outlines the concerns many of us have with changing the sponsorship
> and oversite of the chat line. In discussions among the Nafex Board
> members, we have found that most are quite satisfied with the present
> arrangement (with the major exception of Lon), and several are not
> subscribers (their loss). I think spam would be an annoying problem with
> any list sponsor we might choose. I really have not seen anything that
> would suggest a major reason for change, at this juncture. I am also not
> clear that the silent majority of the 250 plus subscribers really want a
> change. David Ulmer, the Nafex webmaster, has plans to update and improve
> the Nafex website which will be discussed at our next Board meeting in
> Minnesota in September. It may well be that at some time in the future, this
> chat line could be rolled into the Nafex website. Thus, in speaking for the
> Board, I would thank Greg for his patience and the outstanding job he has
> done in organizing and continuing to manage the list and hope that he will
> continue to do so.
>
> Regards, Ethan

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.