nafex - [nafex] Re: chilling in pots or bottomles containers, hardiness

  • From: "woodard214" <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: chilling in pots or bottomles containers, hardiness
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 06:33:55 -0000

I suggest extreme caution in wintering potted plants outside unless
the pots are buried in the soil.

My understanding is that critical temperatures for root hardiness are
higher than for hardiness of above ground parts of the plant.

About twenty years ago I ordered some potted trees from a pretty
competent nurseryman I know. Many failed to grow. He told me that
many other customers had also reported this and he believed the cause
was that he had wintered these potted trees above ground in an
unheated barn. His barn is in about the warmest part of Ontario.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

--- In nafex@y..., "lostman_amiga" <lostman_amiga@y...> wrote:
> Yet another newbie question here,
>
> Is the amount of chilling hours effected by soil temperature?
> For example, would a cold weather plant do better in a large
> pot outside in winter, then planted in the warmer ground?

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WoOlbB/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM