nafex - Re: [nafex] Pawpaw

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Pawpaw
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 08:26:19 -0600

As a kid, roaming the woods & creeks of east-central Alabama, on the zone
7/8 interface, I never knowingly saw a pawpaw. However, now that I know
what they are, I realize they were virtually everywhere throughout the
woods, along the little creeks, etc.
On my visits 'home', I still have yet to see an A.triloba with
fruit(they're present, I just never see any with fruit), but have seen a
couple of dwarf pawpaw, A.parviflora, on my parents' farm, one of
which(I've named it 'Trash Pile", due to it's location) is loaded with
fruit every year - they're all small, thumb-size, and mostly seed, but each
branch is festooned with numerous fruits, usually singles, distributed all
along their length. I've never been there at the appropriate time of year
to sample a ripe fruit, so I can't comment on their flavor. "Trash Pile"
is growing on top of a rocky red clay hill, in full sun, with no other
pawpaws within 100 yds, so it may(?) be self-fertile. I've grafted it onto
A.triloba rootstock and have it growing here in KY, where it has survived
at least two zone 6 winters.
The local native A.triloba, here, have fruits which are usually, as Gordon
indicated, the size of one or two large to extra-large hen eggs, but there
are a few groves which routinely produce large fruits, the size of my fist,
or larger. Can't say that I've been able to ascertain any appreciable
difference in fruit quality/taste between one pawpaw and another, though
I'm hoping some of my grafted selections and named-parentage seedlings will
prove that there IS a difference.
Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY