nafex - [nafex] Re: hardy pears

  • From: "edforest2010" <edforest55@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: hardy pears
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 17:19:21 -0000

Joe,
I would aggree that John, David, and Clark, are reported to be barely
edible but I have heard quite the contrary of Ure. Can't say though
cuz haven't fruited it yet but it is reported to be as good and as
large as Bartlett. (Which ain't bad for a zone 3 pear!

A note about Ure and Summercrisp. They have weird hardiness traits,
one winter I will get heavy dieback from one but not the other,
sometimes in a mild winter. Frank Foltz reported the same in his
zone 3b site. Both however have done well some winters with extreme
deep winter cold. So I'm guessing that one is susceptible to fall
temp. fluctuations and the other is susceptible to spring temp.
fluctuations.
I am experimenting with Kalebasa Plocka, a pear from Poland that
hopefullly will produce next year. I am fruiting it in S WI and also
have one planted in N WI to test its winter hardiness. (Listed as a
very hardy pear).

Also, Buerre hardy is not necessarily winter hardy, the "hardy" in its
name does not refer to its winter hardiness, or so I read. I had been
testing it but lost it last year to rabbits. As far as I know it
hasn't been tested in a colder climate than France.

Bob Purvis rated Hudar highly for taste but Bernie reported its not
that hardy, at least not into zone 3 (or some other Canadian pear
grower, was that you Bernie?) So far it has been doing ok in my z 3
site but we have had mild winters since 1997.

Golden Spice is a nice little pear, but don't let it get your mouth
watering, its not that nice, it is sweet and juicy, but has a short
shelf life and the term spicy is deceptive, it means it doesn't have
that stong astringency of the typical ussurian crab, just a tiny, tiny
hint of it, which isn't objectionable, but neither is it spicy aroma-
wise.

Frank Foltz rated Gourmet to zone 4, and one of the best tasting for
that zone. Its not resistant to FB if I recall.

Turnbull Giant died back nearly to the graft in a couple of mild
winters for me in zone 3, I suspect it would do nearly the same in
zone 4, maybe not, the nursery ad was a lie when it says "grows
anywhere".

Patten is hardier than Parker and a good pear. It seems to lack the
eratic survival of the Ure and Summercrisp.
Kevin B