nafex - Re: [nafex] voles, screen, and rubber cement

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] voles, screen, and rubber cement
  • Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 18:31:33 +0000

With this exceptionally late freeze up this year (today is 60F), I was able
for the first time to get all the salvaged window screen guards on and
stapled and bottoms buried on about 200 trees. Had 4 chewed on already this
season that had tall grass nearby. (lost 20 some trees to voles last year,
mostly manch. apricot, the chewed apples that came up above graft grew up to
3 feet)
It took not more than 5 minutes a tree to dig down, reclaim and remove the
I.D. tags...wrap and staple and bury the screen. I used sections from 2 to
4' tall (depending on expected snow drift) and 6-8" dia. And a good
commercial hand stapler.
The hardware store was so glad to not have to dump it every week in the
trash.
I used rubber cement (little applicator bottles are handy) to patch over the
chewed ones.....I did a number of field grafts earlier this year using it as
a sealer over he graft tape with success. Mn. Del z2/3

Epil Stop & Spray Painless Hair Removal. Spray on and wipe off!
Just $24.95 at Youcansave.com
http://us.click.yahoo.com/gC2sGD/6jNDAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM