nafex - [nafex] Re: Black Walnut Roots

  • From: "Kristina & Bruce" <herenorthere@lycos.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Black Walnut Roots
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 07:07:27 -0400

I think what the book means is that a deep rooted tree reaches deep moisture
in the soil and the water it transpires boosts the humidity around it. So it
doesn't necessarily provide water to its neighbors, but it creates a
microclimate that reduces water stress. Put enough of those trees together,
say in the Amazon basin, and you'll influence the macroclimate enough to
create precipitation for those shallow rooted neighbors.
Bruce Wittchen
West Hartford, CT

http://clubs.lycos.com/live/events/september11.asp

http://us.click.yahoo.com/d49MCB/3WDDAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM