nafex - [nafex] Asian Pear cracking

  • From: spiralfarm@yahoo.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Asian Pear cracking
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:56:30 -0000

Hello NAFEX,
I would like to find out more about the causes of cracking in Asian
Pears and ways to minimize or prevent it. I understand that some
varieties are more susceptible. What is your experience.
My Shinko pears have cracked more in the last 2 or 3 years. I thought
that they looked good in the earlier years. The tree was planted in 93
from a one year old grafted whip. I have other varieties but younger
trees, some are cracking, some have less cracking but they are just
starting to produce fruits. The trees have drip irrigation and
occasionally sprinklers are turned on. They are planted in a well
drained silty loam topsoil the subsoil is silty clay. They are
mulched with wood chips and get a light dressing of composted manure
in the spring. They are grown organically and get some liquid compost
teas in early summer. I live in the West Kootenays of British Columbia
between the Rockies and the Okanagan. This area can be very wet
(interior wet belt) with a lot of snow in the winter but the last few
summers have been dry. Which give us a break on fungus and cankers
specially "anthracnose". If you're area is susceptible, has anybody
found an "anthracnose" resistant variety of apple or pears out there?

Thanks,
Greg Lamoureux

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Gi0tnD/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM