nafex - [nafex] Elderberry update

  • From: "Robert H." <lostman_amiga@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Elderberry update
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 19:05:11 -0000

Howdy all,

As some of you may remember, I was deciding to if to keep the
Elderberry bushes in my front yard because I couldnt get any fruit
that tasted like anything; plus the bush was getting far to out of
control taking over my Medlar and Blueberries. The growth is vigorus
and very gangly. I guess in hedge it would be nice, but as an
understory plant its the tallest thing out there.

Well, I took the leftover berries and put then in the freezer for a
while. I took them out recently and tried cooking them in simple
syrup. The taste (or the lack of it) changed dramaticly after cooking.
I can begin to understand the intrest in wine and jelly now. It is
still not at the top of my list, but Its not that bad. Still, the
plant is going to have to go, or at least it will have to move to the
back of the yard. It seems like to much work to get the juice apart
form the small seeds and skin, but more over each branch can grow 4 to
5 feet a season. Plus the stolens are coming up everywhere.

But of course this bothers me too. I feel I am not really giving it a
chance, or there is something I am missing or not doing to make it a
wonderful addition to my edible landscape.

Wht am I going to replace it with you ask? Well, I am seriously
looking at the Chilean Guava. Anyone have any tips for me on this
one?

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!