nafex - [nafex] rootstocks

  • From: hayner9@cs.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] rootstocks
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 20:51:43 EDT

Hi Folks
Thanks for the replies to my question.
Oops! I am located in SE Va. The peach rootstock would need to be resistant
to borers, nematodes, sheep, llamas, and hostile husbands who think that
grafting is a DISEASE.
We have a small farm on top what is known as a "clay knob". Actually , that
means that all the good land has washed down the hill into the pasture, and
we are left with tight clay around the house.
I want to graft a very dwarf peach onto standard rootstock, and try to cover
it from the inevitable late frost that we always have.

I don't know of any fruit tastings, or group meetings in my area to buy small
quantities of dwarfing cherry rootstocks.

10 is not too many; I guess if I have to bite down and pay $5 apiece, so be
it...

Amy Hayner
zone 7, south central Va.