nafex - [nafex] Re: rootstocks

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: rootstocks
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 07:06:29 -0000

--- In nafex@y..., hayner9@c... wrote:

> Also, how about standard peach rootstocks?
> I have planted out a few of the prunus fruticosa - would they be ok
> to graft onto?
> Has anyone had any experience with them?
> z7.
>
> Thanks!
> Amy Hayner

If you want recommendations for peach rootstocks, it would be helpful
if you were to say where you are. The favoured rootstocks for peach
vary a lot with cold stress, soil, and nematode pressure.

Here in the Niagara Peninsula, the last I heard Bailey seedlings were
favoured by commercial growers on sandy soils. Nematodes are not as
big a worry here as in many U.S. peach growing areas. Bailey is an
old Indian peach from Iowa or thereabouts. In Kent and Essex counties
in Ontario near Windsor and Detroit, a little colder, I understand
that that Siberian C has been replaced by Chui Lum Tao seedlings.

If you are planting on soil likely to be nematode-free, probably you
don't have to worry too much.

For clay soils, Brompton or Pershore Yellow Egg (the latter unlikely
to be available in the U.S.) would suit, although you should not
expect them to perform as well as peach stocks on well drained sandy
soil.

Sometimes peaches are offered on Prunus americana stock. Don't use
it, the trees don't last.

Some years ago the late Dr. Gus Tehrani of Vineland research station
here, told me that he had tried Prunus fruticosa as a rootstock for
sweet cherry. He said they seemed fairly compatible but the scions
tend to overgrow the stocks after 4 years or so and the trees tended
to blow over. They might suit as nurse roots, where you plant the
union a little below the soil line and rely on the scion to root.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada - zone 7a

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Pv4pGD/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM