nafex - Re: [nafex] Blueberries

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Blueberries
  • Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 21:00:34 -0400

Mark, I didn't put down that much nitrogen this year. (Or last, despite
how it sounds.) Both in total and in timing, I pretty much followed the
recommendations of "The Backyard Berry Book." The bushes other than the
one that I replaced are looking very happy. Lots of new growth in the
spring, dark green and hardening off now.

I'm a little worried about overdoing the epsom salts. How much is
safe? I may toss around some more aluminum sulfate, as I expect that is
fairly safe on blueberries. Still, I think it's odd that this one spot
seems unfriendly. Remember, I've had two different bushes look scraggly
in this spot, now.

Best,
Ginda Fisher
eastern MA, zone 6.

> Mark Garrison wrote:
>
> Ginda, your blueberries are doing well to survive all that
> fertilizer. If the scraggly ones show a "Christmas Tree" design in
> the veins, try a little more Epsom Salts. If the pH is still high,
> sulfur is a sure way to bring it down. And sometimes some bushes will
> just insist on being scraggly.
>
> Mark Garrison, RI zone 6

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!